2-year diploma in Petroleum Engineering (Upstream Operations) – a program in Upstream Operations Course contents should cover the service industry and Exploration & Production companies – field production techniques and equipment, reservoir engineering including enhanced recovery, gas processing, drilling, petroleum chemistry, technical communications, petroleum engineering science, petroleum safety fundamentals, and geology.
When the Government of Uganda established this Institute in 2009, by a Presidential Directive, it was decided the trainees would undergo the two-year Diploma program above consisting of the basics in:
- Health Safety and the Environment (HSE)
- Mechanical Engineering: Materials Technology & Pipe Work
- Principals & Regulations of Electrical Installation
- Petroleum Geology, Mathematics, Drilling, Well Planning & Control Practices
- Oil & Gas Production: From the Reservoir to the Surface.
- Welding & Fabrication
- Workshop Practice
- Information Communication Technology.
The first cohort started their training in March 2010; and since, every two years, this Diploma has been reviewed , till it was recently accredited by the National Council for Higher Education, NCHE.
With assistance from our Development Partners, the Institute is in the process of breaking it up into five Specializations, urgently needed by the Petroleum Companies and recommended by the World Bank. These programs will be advertised as soon as the Institute is in position to offer them.